Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Mustard Seed

The little mustard seed
Grows to become a tree
Been trying, but I can't see
What separates you from me
From seeing violence in the street
To the Earth's core below our feet

Because we grow from the Earth
Like a tree grows from the dirt
We'll have to fight to survive
But we don't need guns or knives
Hope for peace, do not avert
But the path, it could hurt

Will I turn myself around?
Can I not be lost and found?
Have you yet denied yourself?
Or do you have it on your shelf?
What did we become?
What is it I have done?
Until you see us as one
We cannot repair the sun
From giving us a glare
So find truth if you dare
See us as we are
Neither here nor far
Not like a distant star
But there, as we all are

And find that ideas don't die
But in coffins we'll lie
We don't need our pride
You can see it if you try
But don't try and you won't see
'Cause only if you'll see
We were born to be free
A pod, two little peas
Too many kids in need
And like the lowly mustard seed
Humanity can grow and see
That even the smallest can dream

[ Ryan G. Banister © 2011 ]

This is a poem I wrote years ago. Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment